Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Rise


Recently Jeff has been away at ASU, teaching and learning, so whenever he comes home we always try to have an LA day*. One day, towards the end of the night, we were walking to Pizzeria il Fico from our car and I spotted this vacant building right next to the restaurant. I couldn't help but notice a strong resemblance to my favorite style of architecture, German Expressionism. I wouldn't say that I am a huge fan of architecture, but there are certain types of architecture that I just love. The reason I came to love German Expressionism is from some of my favorite silent films**. I know that it isn't actually german expressionism, but it really has that feeling. It was just such a nice breath of fresh air and it left me feeling inspired.






*Intelligentsia for a coffee, Wurstkuche for a buffalo sausage and beer, The Pie Hole for a slice of apple pie and hot apple cider, Arclight to see an expensive movie or to see a show at Largo at the Coronet, and then to Pizzeria il Fico for the wood fired gnocchi, and possibly back to Intelligentsia for an espresso.

**Das Cabinet Des Caligari (1920), Nosferatu (1922), Phantom (1922), The Last Laugh (1924), Metropolis (1927)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Stunning photograph!
www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com